Thursday, August 18, 2011

Importing Procedures for Cars Over 25 Years Old

In the United States vehicles over twenty five years old are Department of Transportation (DOT) exempt from meeting federal motor vehicle safety standards(FMVSS).  At over twenty one years old cars are Environmental Protection Agency(EPA) exempt.  To meet California smog exemption requirements, the car must be older than 1976. To have a newer car meet California requirements, it is more expensive, and sometimes very difficult to comply.


International Vehicle Importers is now working with a company in Japan, R- International, which gives you direct access to Japanese car auctions.  Sign up on their website, for a free preview of the dealer auctions. There are thousands of cars daily available at auction.   Only a few of these cars are eligible for import to the US, but an example of eligible cars are below.

1975 Toyota Celica
1975 Toyota Celica. The auction starts at 100,000 yen or about $1200.  Twin cam, wing mirrors, all good stuff.
1981 Landcruiser Diesel
1981 Toyota Landcruiser.  This 4wd diesel landcruiser is a fairly rare sight in the US. Diesels of this vintage are smog exempt in California.

1982 Cedric
1982 Nissan Cedric. 2 liter, turbo. wing mirrors. Who else has a Cedric in the US?
1984 Nissan President
1984 Nissan President Limo.  Check out the plush lazyboy seats. I am not sure if you could drive this, I think you need to be “driven” in it. This is pimptastic.
1967 Cedric
1967 Nissan Cedric.  Another very unique car. 151k km. The auction starts at 30,000 yen or about $368.

 Are you looking for a new unique project?   Once you have signed up and have an idea of what kind of car you want, contact us.

Typical additional costs include:

  • Auction Fee
  • Inland Transport Japan
  • R International Fee
  • Ocean Freight
  • Freight Forwarder Japan
  • THD Fee
  • Express Mail and Money order THD
  • ISF Filing
  • Bond and Surety Fee
  • 2.5 % Tarriff
  • 0.3464 % Processing Fee
  • Customs Entry Fee
  • US Transport

IVI can help you organize payment, get the car deregistered, and arrange shipping to the US. Once its on its way to the US, we will organize the customs brokering and paperwork clearance for you. Then once its here, and legally imported, we will arrange transportation to your location, and assist with registering your over 25 year old car. Contact us for cost estimates.

For the last 22 years, we have been involved in the vehicle export and import business. Over the years we have shipped thousands of cars overseas. Cars, trucks, boats, and motorcycles to Japan, Australia, and New Zealand. We have experience in both container and Ro-Ro shipping.

Importation is not difficult if you know what you are doing, but if you do it wrong, you can end up with huge shipping charges, and the possibility of getting your cargo seized.  Our experience will ensure that you will minimize any risks associated with vehicle import.

No comments:

Post a Comment